What do I do if I am currently experiencing an emergency?

If you are experiencing a life-threatening condition or medical emergency, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.

If you are having suicidal thoughts, you can also call the 24/7, free National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to talk to trained counselors.

You can also use the 24/7 free National Crisis Text Line. Simply text TALK to 741741 to communicate with a trained counselor via text.

Who provides the mental health services for residents/fellows?

Mental health services for residents/fellows are provided by two separate entities.

  1. Professional counselors from the Arkansas Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provide counseling and therapy services.
  2. Dr. Puru Thapa, Professor of Psychiatry and the Director of the UAMS Student Wellness Program (SWP) provides services for residents/fellows who need diagnostic psychiatric evaluation and medication management for any mental health disorder. While Dr. Thapa continues to provide psychiatric services for UAMS students, he is now also providing the same services to residents/fellows.

What services do you provide?

We provide a comprehensive array of mental health and wellness services, including but not limited to management of severe stress, depression, anxiety, relationship problems, substance use issues, burnout and other emotional problems. The EAP provides counseling and therapy services, and Dr. Thapa at the SWP provides psychiatric services, including psychiatric evaluation and medication management. We do not provide specialized testing services.

What is the EAP?

The Arkansas Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a division of the UAMS Psychiatric Research Institute (PRI) that provides professional counseling and therapy services to UAMS faculty, staff, and residents/fellows.  The EAP is staffed by a team of licensed therapists who provide services.

What is the SWP?

The Student Wellness Program (SWP) provides services for all UAMS students. Dr. Thapa is the Director of the SWP.  In addition to continuing to provide services for students, he is now also providing services to residents/fellows.

What are your office hours?

  • EAP’s office hours are 8:00 AM-5:00 PM Monday-Friday (8 am to 7pm three nights per week).
  • The EAP has a 24/7 number 800 542-6021 where you can speak to a licensed EAP counselor for after hour emergencies.
  • The SWP hours for Dr. Thapa are typically 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday. Given the time constraints residents face, we will work with you to find a mutually acceptable time for your appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

It is simple.

  • For counseling and therapy services with the EAP, call 501-686-2588 to make an appointment.
  • For psychiatric services, call 501-686-8408 identify yourself as a resident to make an appointment.

Which number do I call first for help if I am not sure what exactly I need; the EAP or the SWP?

Feel free to call either number. First and foremost, we want you to get help.

Typically, if you feel that your situation may require you to be on medications, call the SWP to see Dr. Thapa. If you want to talk to someone to process what is going on in your life, call the EAP.

The EAP counselors and Dr. Thapa will be working closely together. As needed, the EAP counselor will refer you to Dr. Thapa, and vice versa, Dr. Thapa will refer you to an EAP counselor.

How soon can I expect to be seen when I call for an appointment?

We will do our best to see you as soon as possible. If the situation is urgent, either the EAP counselor or Dr. Thapa will see you within a day or two.

Do I have to pay for your services?

No, our services are free, except for medications.

Is there a place to park when I have a session?

If you are coming to see Dr. Thapa at the SWP office, you can park in one of the parking slots reserved for students.

If you are seeing an EAP counselor at the Freeway Building off I-630, you can park in the main parking lot in front of the building.

If you are seeing an EAP counselor at the UAMS Rahn Building location, there is no special parking available.

Do I have to pay for parking when I have a session?

No, the parking is free.

Will my visits, things I discuss in a session, and records be kept private and confidential?

Yes, maintaining your confidentiality is crucial. The exceptions include situations where safety is of immediate concern:  suicidality, homicidality, or child abuse.

We will NOT share any information about your care with your supervisors, unless we have written permission from you permitting us to do so.

Where are you located?

The EAP offices have two locations:   1) The main office in Little Rock is located at the Freeway Medical Building, 5800 West 10th Street, Suite 601, and 2) the on campus office is located in the Rahn Interprofessional Education Building (previously known at the COPH building) on the 6th floor Room 6228.

The SWP office for Dr. Thapa is located on campus in the Mediplex Building. You can find this building between Burger King off West Markham and Biomed II and across from the Fire Station. Learn More

Will my visits be documented in EPIC?

No!  Dr. Thapa maintains his medical records on paper, and is NOT connected to EPIC.

The EAP has their own electronic medical records system that is NOT connected to EPIC.

What is the Interactive Screening Program (ISP)?

Some of you may be hesitant to reach out, afraid to admit or acknowledge you are stressed, anxious, depressed, or concerned about professional implications. You may not feel that what you are experiencing is a common, treatable health condition. You may find that picking up the phone or walking into the counseling center can be daunting.  To help ease these concerns, the UAMS Resident Wellness Program has partnered with the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention (AFSP) to establish a web-based Interactive Screening Program (ISP) which will allow you to connect with clinicians covering resident wellness anonymously, and engage in a dialogue.  If you go into the ISP section in this website, you will find more information about it and also the link to access it.